Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 8, 2010

A CALM AND UNDISTURBED MIND


It’s 6:47am here in the cosmopolitan city of Lagos. The traffic situation in the overpopulated city is usually on the rise at this hour. A lot of people set out early, so they can catch a few minutes of head-on-the-desk before they start working their butts out, while some leave the comforts of their homes a lil late, and take a head-on-the-steering nap due to the ever-encouraging active traffic.

Okay, I set out to the office with bags under my eyes, cos I barely had enough sleep the previous night – about 4hrs. (Don’t even try to give me the whole Great-minds-sleep-less speech”).
Is there any place in the world where people get paid for sleeping overtime? I think I need to relocate!

Feeling very over-sensitive, I hit the front seat of my colleagues car, and shut my eyes for a few seconds, wishing I had the luxury of a couple of hours to lazy around, without someone coming around to say, “we need visuals for the next story; are you done with that script?” I’m not lazy; I just like to rest before I get tired…lol…It keeps me from writing notes like this one.
 Arrrgggghhhh*

For a while now, I’ve been kinda apprehensive about ‘Life & Living.’ maybe not pessimistically, but the inescapable turnout of certain events gives me more reasons to.
The more I think, the more questions I create, mentally.
(No room left to log them! Can I borrow your head?)
Trust me, you don’t want to be haunted by your own thoughts.

At what point in your life do you need to STOP giving a heck about what happens next? At what point in your life do you need to STOP caring about the feelings of your neighbour? At what point in your life do you need to STOP pressing harder, even in the obvious face of failure?
Pray never to get to that POINT, cos it has nothing but frustrations and regrets as its by-products. It helps you build a skyscraper of well-furnished depression, in split seconds.
(weird thoughts)

By definition, the MIND is the centre of consciousness that generates thoughts, feelings, ideas, and perceptions and stores knowledge and memories. Permit me to add a lil something to this definition. The MIND is also a fertile ground for developing GREATNESS and (sometimes) burying dreams, advertently or inadvertently. 
I’ll pause right here, before I lose it!

While assisting my colleague, yesterday, with a research on cardiovascular diseases in children, the gravity of the ailment didn’t strike me as much as it did this morning, as I bumped into an eight-year old girl with a congenital heart defect – a hole in the heart.
I didn’t bother to find out more, because “a hole in the heart” was enough information for me to create images in my head.


Shortly after the interview kicked off, the little girl just stared at the screen, which displayed graphics of the human heart and a dummy baby. She giggled as the graphics flashed by, and there she was on live TV. I’m pretty sure she was excited to see herself on the screen. 

As I gazed at her, I thought to myself, “this child doesn’t deserve to be in that condition. She looked so tired, but calm and beautiful. What went wrong?” It will be sheer imprudence to question the Creator…or blame anyone…
Jesus, answering the disciples, said, “…that my Father in Heaven may be glorified”

Is it safe to say that people who are ignorant of the gravity of their ailment are more relaxed than people who are fully aware of their life expectancy?

I said all that to say this, Proverbs 14:30 “A calm and undisturbed MIND and heart are the life and health of the body, but envy, jealousy, and wrath are like rottenness of the bones.”

Keep your mind active with productive thoughts – or just let it be! Don’t let your current situation or circumstance stimulate you into destroying the few bricks you’ve gathered.

Keep fighting…keep surviving…keep living! And above all, keep believing!




    

No comments:

Post a Comment