Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 27, 2011

THE TIDES DON’T DICTATE MY DIRECTION

Hmmm…I really don’t know how or where to start this post from, but I hope I end up with something meaningful at the end.

Once upon a time, I got admission in the university to study a course I wasn’t really interested in, because the whole high (secondary) school experience of the subject was nothing close to interesting…all thanks to my teacher, who made it quite unbearable. I’ll spare you the rest of that gist - I’m sure I dwelt a little on it in one of my previous posts.

Take a ride across my high school days, and then hop a little over my almost-7yrs in college (university). I got a Bachelor’s degree in Geography. I remember telling a very good friend of mine that I was going to give my certificate to my parents, and enroll for another first degree programme. She thought the idea sounded really absurd. (After spending so many years in the university) I wanted to start college all over…you know…I wanted to pursue my dreams…to do something I would be able to focus my time and energy on with all pleasure.

I started out on a quest to reverse and take another route. Words came from right and left “Why don’t you just pursue a second degree (Master’s) in a field you’ll feel more comfortable with, instead of having to start all over again.” I thought about it for a while. And so I made up my mind to move on, but because of the series of strike actions that truncated academic sessions during my days in the university back in my country, I decided to prod my plans over the seas. I applied to several institutions, but because of my background in Geography, I found it difficult to get admission in what I really wanted to study. Some other constraints set in, so I had to settle for something pretty close and related to my choice. Okay. The field of study was established. What next? The means! As God would have it, that was also settled. Praise God!!!

During this period of searching, doubting, swapping preferences, battling with pessimistic suggestions and considering so-called ‘realistic’ options, I learnt a lot. God taught me things I may never have learned within the four walls of any institution at home or abroad. I learnt to trust Him…I learnt to listen even when He wasn’t speaking. Several times I got discouraged and felt like living the next day as it came. Most times when we have our minds all made up concerning a matter, the only voice we hear is ours. Then we patch our confidence up by saying “we have the mind of Christ” and “the steps of the righteous are ordered” so we skip the part of ‘Time and chance happens to all’. Those are very true statements. Believe me. But on the race track, do you know what happens when you take-off before the whistle? Yep! You might get disqualified after several warnings. On many occasions I capitalized on the fact that God’s had no evil intentions towards me, so I could as well get on with the plans I had in mind, but God made a mess of my discretion. (I pray you don’t get to a point where people will ask you ‘where’s that God you brag about?’). Over confidence gradually became ‘well, if it’s God’s will, so be it. If not, so be it’ and ‘God’s time is the best’. Lol.

Everything finally panned out, and there was no logical explanation for it. The encounters with certain people (My ‘Jan buddy’ you know yourself), the words of encouragement and assurance (from my family and friends dear to my heart), God’s perfect timing…and loads of other unforeseen moves made it obvious that it’s really not by power nor by might. I came to realize that God wanted to take every iota of the glory to Himself. Beyond my calculative plans, beyond the time stamps I had placed on my to-do and to-achieve list (if there’s anything like that), beyond the activity, God’s plans prevailed.

Fast forward……

I had a limited time to say my goodbyes, which I eventually did with mixed feelings. First, it was “What you’ve been waiting on God for has finally come to manifestation” and the other was “So you’re going to leave the people you’ve known all your life for such a long time”. The only consolation was that my leaving for a while was for a good cause (academically), and that God would make me a useful vessel in His hands home and abroad...

I crossed mountains and seas to a distant land, thousands of miles away from the place I used to (and still) call home. The first question I asked myself when we touched ground was ‘What in God’s name are you doing here?’ the answer wasn’t forthcoming, so I just dashed along with people that looked like they were in a hurry to get somewhere. I starting wishing I made the wrong decision…I wished I could shut my eyes and wake up the next morning in my room back in Nigeria. I wished for so many things to happen in a few minutes, but that was the best I could do…wish! Reality was staring at me, boldly.

On my second night in this strange land, I went out in search of accommodation with two new friends, under the rain. I could hardly feel my hands and feet, cos It was really cold that evening – not the kinda weather I’ve been used to. It was about 5 degrees (Oh, how I miss naija’s 34-38 degrees). I was this close to getting knocked off my feet by an oncoming vehicle when my friends hollered at me. I rushed back to a safe spot as the driver hit the brakes swiftly and the tyres screeched on the wet tarred road. All other vehicles came to a complete halt. Dude gazed at me for a second and zoomed off. Blood started rushing through my veins as I thought about the incidence. Early that day, I was complaining about how everybody on this side of the world drives too fast, even on narrow roads. I gave thanks to God, but asked Him a few questions at the same time…’you didn’t bring me here to get me killed, right? This wasn’t what you had in my mind when you led me out of Africa, was it? (Sounds like what the Israelites were asking Moses after leading them out of Egypt, right?) lol. The more I think about that night and how God saved me, the more I give Him praise for His faithfulness. This note is getting too long.

Things aren’t as bad or as difficult as people paint them to be. God’s blessings are not accompanied by sorrow. If it doesn’t turn out good at the end, then we probably didn’t keep to our part of the deal with Him.

Have you asked Him for stuff lately? Has He spoken? Maybe His answer doesn't sound like what you expect, so you think He hasn't spoken. maybe He's saying 'Go ahead and gain possession of the land' What other confirmation do you need? A few more witnesses to affirm it; or you want lightning to strike a particular surface thrice or you want the clouds to sneeze at midnight as a sign that God has got everything under control. God still listens. He neither sleeps nor slumbers. He wants what’s best for you and me. But the question is 'Are we moving in the direction He wants us to move in?'

One advice I took along with me…and that I intend to keep fastened to my heart
(even more than my entry clearance) is “Remember the son of whom you are and let your confessions remain the same.” The weather will change, the temperature will rise and drop; the system may be poles apart, but never allow the tides determine your direction. People will say ‘This is the way it’s done here’ or ‘It’s a different world out here. Well, it sure is! But that doesn’t change a thing. God’s words stand. God’s commandments remain the same. It may not be easy, especially when you have to be on your toes (no longer in your comfort zone), where the challenges have thorns and the alternatives are not very friendly. But if we draw near to God He will draw near to us. He’ll always be there to strengthen and comfort us…when we need Him…when we call on Him.

I draw strength from His word, because physically I’m helpless and mentally I’m unstable.

Lord, let my navigation be determined by you…and you alone. Amen.

God help us!

Work hard. Pray harder. Thank God.

4 comments:

  1. Aww!! This is really nice T.M. Lewin.. :) Thank God you didnt get run over by the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, thanks Albert Anonymous! Me sef I thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Oh...mentally we are unstable, we need God. We can't always rely on our emotions and feelings. Your post have been such an inspiration to me. Thanks a bunch. I gave you a lovely blog award. Please check out my blog for more information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanks for reading. i'm going there now!

    ReplyDelete