Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 30, 2010

INTO HIS WAITING ARMS

My words were no longer persuasive enough to convince anyone. I decided to shut up. I decided to cut myself off from public sight. I stopped trying hard to please anyone or make anyone feel my presence or input, even when it was needed. I never wanted to be tolerated again, so I made up my mind to embark on a lonely journey. At a point, I tried to make a rational excuse for changing my mind and staying, but none was worth it.

“I’m not surprised that you marvel at the things I say and do. Truth be told, if I were in your shoes, I would too.” “How could you? No one has ever done that before.” “Okay. Fine. Let it be written that I was the first. In fact, that makes it more interesting and adventurous.”

The more they spoke ill, the less I listened. The more they tried to convince me with sweet words, the more I rebelled. The more they discouraged me, the more I got motivated to press forward.

I demanded for what i thot was due me. Reluctantly, my will was granted, and I felt much fulfilled. I wasn’t moved by their tears or plea; I just shoved my way through with my luggage. I ignored every single one of them and moved eastward, until their voices became faint.

I felt a bit of fresh air. Finally, I could do whatever I wanted without anyone on my neck, nagging and ordering me around.

This feeling of freedom soon turned into a nightmare. My vision became blurred, my strength failed me; the journey seemed very long and unending. My feet could barely keep me up. I exhausted all the money I had on me. I sold my clothes, sandals, wristwatches and all my belongings, cos I had to pay rent and utility bills. After spending my last dime, I had to work as a hired labourer in an old ranch.

The new people I met offered me shelter and food, cos I had already run out of stock. But their best couldn’t be compared to the worst I enjoyed back home. After a few weeks of hard labour and meager returns, thoughts began to run through my mind. Yes, I felt I needed more privacy back home; and I felt my folks were poking their nose in my business. I felt I’d be better off away from those who sincerely loved me. I felt being a man meant making my own rules, being independent, and living my life the way I deemed fit. But I was wrong. I felt miserable.

Swaddled in shame, I took off. I ran as fast as my already lean feet could carry me. I ran back to where I was treated as an heir and not a slave. I ran back to where it all started; I ran back to a loving father who didn’t rebuke me to humiliate me, but to bring out the best in me. I ran back to a home where the little that was available was appreciated and shared equally in love, with a smile of anticipation of greater things. I was willing to serve along with the slaves and other hired servants in my father’s house and not in some strange land.

On getting home, I saw my father standing outside the premises as though he was expecting me. Tears rolled off my cheeks. A feeling of acceptance drenched me as I got lost in His warm embrace. I was shocked at the welcome party I received. The whole town was summoned. There was great rejoicing. My tattered clothes were taken off and my feet were washed. After a sound bath, I was robed in a glowing garment, and oil was poured upon my head. Rams were slaughtered and a feast was prepared. There was music. There was more than enough to eat and drink. I wasn’t worthy of a second chance. I had failed my father. I begged for forgiveness, and instantly I was restored. What I felt I had lost forever was given to me in full dose.

Many of us have lost our place, simply because we walked out on our father. We no longer deserve a right to His possessions. He never intends to make you feel uncomfortable with His incessant rebuke and correction. His “thoughts toward us are thoughts of God and not of evil, to bring us to an expected end.”

No matter how far you might be from ‘Home’ you can still run back to the waiting arms of your ‘father’

But I hope that when you finally make that decision to run back, the doors will still be open. Make haste. Forget about the mistakes and hurry.

You know what? Do it NOW! Run into His waiting arms.

2 comments: