Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A SLING. A STONE. and MY GOD.

Many years ago, I was on my way to school with my mum and my younger ones. The dude collecting the fare was trying to get us off the bus, because he didn’t want my mum to carry my two lil sisters on her lap. My mum tried explaining to him saying “They are just lil kids, besides we’re not going to bother anyone” But the dude insisted that she must pay some extra cash, he even insulted her.

His doggedness got me really pissed that I grabbed him from behind and hit him with my frail right knee, just as he tried to force my mum outta the bus. He pushed me aside like he was trying to dust something off his shirt (C’mon! I was in high school. What did you expect? lol), but I got up and charged towards him again. People intervened immediately, faulting his actions. There I stood, feeling really cool with myself. As fragile as I was, I still had the strength to (at least) try to defend my mum… or I thought I did! Okay, let’s just say I did! *insert bbm cool smiley*.

I regard my folks so much, and I won’t appreciate anyone speaking ill of them, under any circumstance. I remember telling my friends back in school ‘If you must insult me, go nuts on me. It might not move me. But the moment you bring any of my folks into the matter, you’re in for something you won’t be able to handle’.
Kinda like reminds me of what David said when he heard Goliath bragging and threatening the armies of Israel. “And David spake unto the men that stood by him, saying, what shall be done to the man that killeth this philistine, and taketh away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised philistine, that he should defy the armies of the Living God?” 1 Sam17:26.

Maybe age was already telling on Saul, cos the bible recorded that He was dismayed and terrified along with the Israelites. A whole saul??
Let’s do a quick rewind to when Samuel wanted to anoint Saul as king. Saul was described as “a choice young man, and a goodly: and there was not among the children of Israel a goodlier person than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people” 1 Sam 9:2. Oh yeah! He won battles, claimed spoils and smote armies, but God later rejected him because of disobedience. It’s amazing how God can lower a man of power and authority to a vulnerable prey. (Sorry for the diversion).

Goliath and the philistine army troubled the Israelites for 40 days – morning and evening. Goliath must have been feeling on top of the world – like a huge cat before susceptible rats. This Nine feet Nine Inches (9’ 9’’) dude (scientists would disagree with me on his exact height) brought fear upon Saul and his army. But to David, he was just like one of the bears or lions he had slain. After all, if he could save a sheep from the paw of a bear, how much more God’s army from the mercy of just one man.
David begged Saul to allow him shut Goliath’s mouth. He was upset that an ordinary man would speak ill of God’s people. He was infuriated that a mere mortal was threatening the children of the Lion of the tribe of Judah.

Speaking of physical strength and dexterity on the battle ground, David couldn’t be compared to goliath. But God was with him. That made him even bigger. I’ll try not to bore you too much with that story, but David didn’t stand before Goliath with a sword or an armour. “Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of the Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.” 1 sam 18:45
.
An interesting part of that story was that David didn’t even ascribe the glory to himself. He didn’t boast in his bodily abilities. Just before he slew Goliath, he said “And all this assembly (both the Israelites and the philistines) shall know that the Lord saveth not with the sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD’S, and He will give you into OUR hands.” 1 Sam 17:47. He wasn’t depending on his strength, nor his skill at swinging his sling, but He was depending on God to fight His battle. God did take the glory after it all.

Putting all these together, we have an obedient servant who trusted in the Lord as against his physical ability; An unskilled fighter standing before a well-trained soldier of war without a spear or shield but just a name – the name of the Lord; A one-man army who understood the greatness of the King of kings and the Mighty one in battle; a bear slayer who acknowledged that the battle was the Lord's and there wasn’t a slight chance of losing.

I don’t know how big that challenge is; I don’t know how long it has held you defenseless; I might not be able to tell in details how you can break that limitation or pull down that stronghold. But just like David did, put the WORD of God before you. Let God be your sword, spear and shield. Nothing/No one is greater than Him. 1 Sam 2:9 – “He will keep the feet of His saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.”

All you need to do is to trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him…and He shall direct your paths. He’ll use that sling and stone in your hand to bring down any stronghold that threatens your peace. Is it sickness or lack; a tussle with your flesh? God is able to grant you victory.

Work Hard. Pray Harder. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment